I really enjoy pumpkin and I really enjoy mushrooms and what’s better than combining these two healthy superfoods, to create a delicious meal. What I like to make is oven-baked spaghetti squash with mushrooms with a creamy sauce.
When I was at university I often did cook for small quick meals just for myself and that is why a whole spaghetti squash is too much for one meal. So I did usually bake the squash and refrigerate one half to prepare a dish for the next day.
With today’s half, I will prepare a creamy spaghetti squash with mushrooms.
Creamed Spaghetti Squash with Mushrooms
Ingredients for one serving
- half a spaghetti squash
- 1/3 cup cream
- 1/2 cup vegan feta cheese
- Italian herbs
- 2 tbsp refined olive oil
- a small onion
- a handful of mushrooms (whichever mushrooms you prefer)
- crushed roasted walnuts
In case you missed out on how to prepare spaghetti squash follow these steps:
- Preheat oven to 4oo degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half and with a tablespoon scoop out the seeds.
- Brush the insides of the squash with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Place both halves, with the cut side down on a baking tray.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until meat is soft.
- Fluff the insides out with a fork.
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan. Add in the spaghetti squash strands.
- Stir in the cream and mix well. Add in a little water to avoid burning. Then add vegan feta cheese and Italian herbs. Mix well and set aside.
- Dice onions and mushrooms.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan.
- Add onions and saute until golden brown. Add in the mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms are soft. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add sauteed mushrooms to the creamy spaghetti squash. Mix well.
- Transfer the creamy dish into an ovenproof bowl.
- Top with feta cheese and bake in the oven at 360 degrees Fahrenheit for 8-10 minutes or until slightly golden brown on top.
- Garnish with crushed roasted walnuts.
Whether as a main course or as a hearty side dish, mushrooms can be prepared in many different ways.
They are especially interesting for vegetarians, as mushrooms are a great alternative to replace meat in many dishes.
- Make Your Own Curry Powder - July 28, 2022
- What Is A Carbon Footprint? - July 25, 2022
- Socca Bread - June 24, 2022