Phad Thai, the national dish of Thailand comes in many different delicious variations. What makes this dish so great is the diversity of spicy, sweet, sour and salty ingredients. Its main components consist of rice noodles, mung beans, fish sauce, eggs, peanuts, garlic and chili topped with many other different ingredients. Depending on the recipe, ingredients such as tofu, meat, or seafood can also be added.
Veggie Phad Thai
Now you can pretty much decide for yourself what ingredients you would like in your Phad Thai. I decided to make a completely plant-based Phad Thai but be sure to have many of your main components. I forgot to buy mung beans, so this will be a mung bean-free Phad Thai 🙁
But I always try and make the best of what I have 🙂
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 1 red onion
- 1 chili pepper
- A small broccoli
- 3 carrots
- 1/2 a zucchini
- 3 green onions
- 2 small capsicum
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 3.5 oz (100g) peanuts, roasted in a pan
- 1 0z (20g) sesame seeds
- 7 0z (200g) plain tofu
- 8.5 oz (240g) rice noodles
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- t tbsp fish sauce (optional)
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp sriracha sauce
Preparation (40 minutes)
- Mix soy sauce, fish sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, sesame oil, lime juice, sriracha sauce and a handful of green onions in a bowl and set aside.
- Peel and slice onions. Caramelize onions in a heated pan with sugar or syrup.
- Boil water in a kettle and prepare the rice noodles according to the instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Cut tofu into cubes, and drizzle some of the soy sauce mixtures onto the tofu cubes. Add some flour and mix well. Heat cubes in a pan until nice and crunchy.
- Boil broccoli in a pot as long as you desire.
- Peel carrots. Cut into thin slices.
- Use a vegetable spiralizer for the zucchini.
- Slice capsicum and green onions.
- In a heated pan, fry the carrots, zucchini, capsicum, and half of the green onions for about 10 minutes.
- Prepare your bowl.
- Mix some of the soy sauce mixture with the rice noodles. Set as the base of your phad thai.
- Top of with the rest of the vegetables and tofu
- Garnish with caramelized onions, peanuts, and green onions.
- Drizzle more soy sauce mixture if you like.
If you’ve enjoyed this stir fry and up for a different variety, try out this other delicious stir fry
- Make Your Own Curry Powder - July 28, 2022
- What Is A Carbon Footprint? - July 25, 2022
- Socca Bread - June 24, 2022