There are times when I have absolutely no idea what to cook or what I am in the mood for. So I open the fridge and see what I can find and whip something up. I still had a variety of veggies and plain tofu in the fridge. I also remember having some egg noodles in the pantry. So I decided to make a veggie stir fry with tofu. But I wanted to make something exciting with the tofu. I remembered seeing a recipe once with sesame tofu sticks. Doesn’t sound that bad and I was quite curious to try it out.
Stir Fry Noodles With Sesame Tofu Sticks
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 3.5 oz (100g) broccoli
- 2 carrots
- 5 oz (150g) sprouts
- 2 spring onions
- 3.5 oz (100g) green beans
- 2 oz (50g) frozen vegetables (optional)
- 1 capsicum
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1 lb (400g) plain tofu
- 2 teaspoon syrup/honey/sugar
- 1/2 cup (120ml) soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce (if you don’t like it spicy then leave it out)
- 1 – 2 eggs
- 4 oz (110g) flour
- 7 oz (200g) sesame seeds
- salt and pepper to taste
- 7 oz (200g) egg noodles – cook to your liking
Preparation (40 minutes)
- Mix 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and 1 tablespoon of sriracha sauce.
- Cut tofu into wide strips and marinate in soy sauce, sriracha mix for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut broccoli into florets.
- Peel carrots and cut using a vegetable spiralizer.
- Drain sprouts.
- Cut spring onions and green beans.
- Cut capsicum into thin strips.
- Peel onion and garlic and dice.
- Whisk eggs in a bowl.
- Distribute flour and sesame seeds onto two separate plates.
- Add some salt and paprika powder to the sesame seeds and mix.
- Turn tofu in flour, then in egg, and finally in the sesame seeds.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry sesame tofu sticks on both sides until golden brown.
- In another pan heat oil.
- Glaze onions for a few minutes.
- Add the green beans and cook for 10 minutes
- Mix in the rest of the vegetables and continue frying.
- Add ginger and garlic.
- Pour in the rest of the soy sauce.
- If you like add in a squeeze of syrup or honey or a tablespoon of sugar.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Continue frying for another 10 minutes.
- Lastly, add the cooked egg noodles and mix well.
- Serve in a bowl and top with the crispy sesame tofu sticks.
Enjoy your stir fry!
There is often more in the fridge than you think. So if you ever forget to plan ahead what to cook, check the pantry, rummage through what’s left in the fridge, and with a bit of imagination cook a great quick meal.