As it is a long time family tradition I start my personal asparagus season with my all-time favorite: white Asparagus with Prosciutto and potatoes. Originally my mum used ham, which contained more fat. I favor the prosciutto, a juicy cooked ham that is cut in wafer-thin slices. Prosciutto differs a bit from a classic cooked ham and tastes a bit spicier.
I also like to use Franceline potatoes, also known as ‘ the red potato’ for their pink skin. The flesh is yellow and has an outstanding flavor.
I went to the farmers market and bought fresh white asparagus.
How Can You Tell The Asparagus Is Fresh?
This question is easy to answer: just rub two asparagus spears against each other and you can hear a squeaking sound. The cut is fresh and juicy, the skin is shiny and crack-free. The heads are closed and firm and do not give way under pressure. Asparagus spears are not flexible, they break easily (Well, the vendor will not be so happy if you try this out with the asparagus).
Ingredients For White Asparagus With Prosciutto And Red Potatoes
For two persons:
- 2 pounds white asparagus
- 1 pound red potatoes (Franceline)
- 7 ounces prosciutto cotto
- a handful of chives, finely chopped
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 tsp salt
- pinch of sugar
- a slice of lemon (organic)
- salt and pepper to taste
How To Cook White Asparagus With Prosciutto And Red Potatoes
- Wash potatoes and boil them in their skins.
- Now, you have to peel the asparagus.
- In a large pot bring water to boil. Add 2 teaspoons of salt, one teaspoon of sugar and 1 slice of lemon to the water. Put asparagus in the boiling water. It is important that the asparagus spears are completely covered. The cooking time of the asparagus depends on the thickness of the spears. I used pretty thick asparagus and cooked it for 20 minutes.
- Place the Proscuitto in layers on a casserole dish and add flakes of butter. Now, instead of a lid, cover the pot with the casserole dish. This way the butter melts and steams the Prosciutto.
- Once the potatoes are done and cooled down peel off the skin.
- Drain the asparagus and place it still hot on the ham.
- Add freshly ground pepper a handful of chives and add some more butter flakes.
I hope you like this meal as much as I do. The green asparagus with tuna is nice too.