And there is another highlight for me in springtime: Rhubarb Pie. I just can’t get enough of the pie. You will find a lot of variations, Rhubarb pie with crumb topping, Rhubarb pie with meringue or Rhubarb pie covered with a pastry crust. But my all-time favorite is Rhubarb pie with a sour cream topping.
The sour taste of the rhubarb combines excellently with the cream, which is sweetened with sugar and seasoned with a pinch of cinnamon. This pie tastes wonderfully fresh and is not too sweet. Perfect for the first afternoon coffee in the garden.
Interesting Facts About Rhubarb
Rhubarb is actually not a fruit, but a perennial vegetable. However, in the United States, it is considered a fruit. Rhubarb (Rheum Rhabarbarum) belongs to the genus Rheum in the family Polygonaceae.
Rhubarb is originally from China. The Chinese used the roots of the rhubarb for the preparation of medicinal products. From China, the plant was first brought to Russia and in the 18th century to Europe and from there on to America.
Only the pinkish green stalks of the rhubarb plant are edible, the leaves contain oxalic acid and are poisonous. The flavor is tart. However as redder the stalks the sweeter the rhubarb.
Rhubarb likes the cold. Therefore it grows well in the northern states of the U.S.
The best-known preparations are jams and compotes and of course the mouth-watering pies. Rhubarb is also processed into juice.
Rhubarb is low on calories, low on cholesterol and sodium. It is a good source of dietary fibers, vitamin C and K, calcium, and potassium.
Ingredients for the Rhubarb Pie
for the crust:
- 1 cup of flour
- 2/3 cup of sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 packet of vanilla sugar
- 1 cup of butter
- 1 tbsp breadcrumbs
for the topping:
- 1.5 lbs rhubarb
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 4 eggs
- 1 packet of vanilla sugar
- 5 drops vanilla essence
- 1 tsp corn starch
How To Bake the Rhubarb Pie:
- For the crust mix all ingredients together, until mixed well and all flour is incorporated in the butter. Form into a ball and leave in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Clean and prepare rhubarb, cut into 1 cm pieces.
- mix all ingredients for the topping, whisk them well. Add the rhubarb pieces.
- Grease a baking tin and preheat oven to 175 C.
- Place the shortcrust pastry in the baking tin pressing 2 cm of dough to the edge. Prick the dough several times with a fork. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the dough.
- Pour the rhubarb – sour cream mixture over the dough and bake for 40 minutes.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Allow to cool and dust with icing sugar just before serving the pie.
This rhubarb pie was delicious. So juicy and creamy.
Rhubarb Strawberry Pie With Sour Cream Topping
I still had rhubarb left, also strawberries. I decided to bake this pie again, this time I mixed the rhubarb with the strawberries. The result is, again, a delicious pie. The addition of sweet strawberries goes well with the sour taste of the rhubarb, rounded off by the creamy taste of the sour cream.
For more cake recipes, try the Cream Cake or the Linzer Torte.
- Cook Pork Shoulder In A Crock Pot - August 28, 2022
- 10 Easy and Delicious Italian Ground Beef Recipes - July 2, 2022
- Homemade Italian Meatballs - June 25, 2022