Winter is the time for comfort food, what’s better than a warming soup. Everyone likes lentils. A bowl of flavorful, hearty vegan lentil soup is easy and quick to make and will be enjoyed by the whole family. I make sure that all the ingredients are vegan, but adding frankfurter sausages will also delight non-vegans.
Facts about lentils
- Lentils, scientifically Lens culinaris is a legume native to Asia and is one of the earliest crops cultivated by humans. The economically interesting types of lentils are predominantly annual, herbaceous plants. All lentil pulses have a high nutritional value.
- There are 6 different types of lens, two of them, ‘Lens nigricans’ and ‘Lens orientalis’, are considered the ancestors of the kitchen lentil (Lens culinaris) from which countless varieties were bred. Today around 80 different varieties are grown.
- The largest producers are Canada, India, and Turkey
- Depending on the variety, lentils can be green, yellow, brown, dark purple or red
- Dried lentils are available all year round
- Lentils are a high-quality source of vegetable protein, they contain magnesium and fiber but low on fat.
Ingredients For Vegan Lentil Soup
- 1.5 cups lentils (I used Beluga lentils, but all other types of lentils will be fine)
- 1 lb potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 3/4 lb carrots
- 3/4 lb leek
- 4.5 cups vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- salt and pepper
- 1 dash of balsamic vinegar
- Soak the lentils in water, depending on the variety.
- Peel the potatoes, onions, and carrots and cut them into large cubes. Clean the leek and cut it into coarse rings.
- Fry the vegetables in a little oil, add the lentils, deglaze with the vegetable stock and bring to the boil, add the bay leaves and simmer until the vegetables are cooked.
- Stir in the almond milk and season with salt, pepper, and a dash of vinegar.
For those who can’t do without a meaty ingredient, just serve a pair of Frankfurter sausages with this soup or maybe cook a traditional Frankfurt lentil soup. Vegan lentil soup can also be easily prepared in a slow cooker.
- Cook Pork Shoulder In A Crock Pot - August 28, 2022
- 10 Easy and Delicious Italian Ground Beef Recipes - July 2, 2022
- Homemade Italian Meatballs - June 25, 2022