Winter is the time for comfort food, what’s better than a warming soup. Everyone likes lentils. A bowl of flavorful, hearty vegan lentil soup is easy and quick to make and will be enjoyed by the whole family. I make sure that all the ingredients are vegan, but adding frankfurter sausages will also delight non-vegans.
Facts about lentils
- The plant ‘Lens’ or better known as ‘Lentil‘, belongs to the legume family. The lentil types are predominantly annual, more rarely perennial, herbaceous plants. The stem is erect, sometimes lying down. The alternating leaves are usually pinnate in pairs with two to eight pairs of leaflets.
- Lentils originally come from the Mediterranean area, today lentils are grown worldwide.
- There are 6 different types of lens, two of them, ‘Lens nigricans’ and ‘Lens orientalis’, are considered the ancestors of the kitchen lentil (Lens culinaris) from which countless varieties were bred. Today around 80 different varieties are grown.
- The largest producers are Canada, India, and Turkey
- Depending on the variety, lentils can be green, yellow, brown, dark purple or red
- Dried lentils are available all year round
- Lentils are a high-quality source of vegetable protein, they contain magnesium and fiber but low on fat.
Ingredients For Vegan Lentil Soup
- 1.5 cups lentils (I used Beluga lentils, but all other types of lentils will be fine)
- 1 lb potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 3/4 lb carrots
- 3/4 lb leek
- 4.5 cups vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- salt and pepper
- 1 dash of balsamic vinegar
- Soak the lentils in water, depending on the variety.
- Peel the potatoes, onions, and carrots and cut them into large cubes. Clean the leek and cut into coarse rings.
- Fry the vegetables in a little oil, add the lentils, deglaze with the vegetable stock and bring to the boil, add the bay leaves and simmer until the vegetables are cooked.
- Stir in the almond milk and season with salt, pepper, and a dash of vinegar.
For those who can’t do without a meaty ingredient, just serve a pair of Frankfurter sausages with this soup. Vegan lentil soup can also be easily prepared in the slow cooker.