I think I ate way too much meat over Christmas, but that’s pretty much always the case over the holidays. I recently came across a campaign in a magazine: “Make January a Veganuary”.
What a great idea, I thought and decided to take part, because that’s actually something for me too. So I not only do something for my health but also make a small contribution to environmental and climate protection. I’m definitely not going to be a full vegan. Now and then I appreciate a tasty piece of meat, but I have to make sure that it doesn’t come from factory farming.
At the beginning of the Veganuary, I found a recipe that was quite easy to cook up:
Vegetable Balls With Cream Sauce
Meatballs also called ‘Köttbullar’ are a specialty from Sweden. Alternatively, these balls can be made with just vegetables. In Sweden, they are called ‘Grönsaksbullar’. In my recipe for today, I use mainly red lentils, mushrooms, and oats.
Ingredients for the vegetable balls (4 servings)
- 0.5 cup red lentils
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1.75 cups brown mushrooms
- 1 cup of oat flakes
- 0.5 bundle parsley
- 5 tbsp soy sauce
Ingredients for the cream sauce
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1.75 cup of coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Cook the lentils in a saucepan according to the instructions on the packet.
- Chop the onion and garlic and sauté in a pan with 1 tablespoon of oil for about 3 minutes.
- Clean, chop and mix the mushrooms in the pan. Fry for 3 minutes.
- Finely grind the oatmeal with a mixer. Add the cooked lentils and the fried vegetables. Mix 2-3 times without completely pureeing the mixture to a paste.
- Chop the parsley and add to the mixture. Add 2-3 tbsp soy sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix everything well and let it steep for about 10 minutes.
- Shape the mixture into balls with damp hands and place on a baking sheet lined with baking paper. Brush the balls with a little oil and bake in the preheated oven at 350 ° F top and bottom heat (320 ° F convection) for 25-30 minutes.
- For the cream sauce, mix the vegetable stock, coconut milk, 1 tbsp soy sauce, and mustard in a saucepan. Boil. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in 2-3 tablespoons of water and add to the sauce. Simmer until the sauce is creamy. Add the vegetable balls to the cream sauce.
Preparation time: 60 minutes
Serve with pasta or mashed potatoes. A healthy side salad is a nice complement too. Enjoy