The first time I tried a zucchini cake was at my grandmother’s. I remember lifting my eyebrows and being very skeptical. A cake! With vegetables! Mind you at that age a vegetable cake was the last thing I wanted to try. But I knew my grandmother was a professional in baking wonderful cakes, so I tried it. And it was wonderful! It tasted so amazing. The consistency was so spongy. It was super moist and with the combination of the zucchini pieces, almond splits, a hint of cinnamon, and a chocolate ganache, it was perfect. Once my grandmother gave me the recipe, it was a cake I would bake on many different occasions.
As I began to become more aware of what I eat and started consuming more vegan dishes, I decided to look for a way to make a vegan zucchini cake that tasted just like the one my grandmother used to make.
After a few tries, I was able to create a cake that was so similar.
Ingredients for the zucchini cake:
- 8 oz flour
- 8 oz brown sugar
- 5 oz crushed hazelnut
- 17 oz zucchini
- 3 tbsp soy flour
- 6 oz fl sunflower oil
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 packet of vanilla sugar
- icing sugar (optional)
Tip! Sometimes I’m in the mood for a really chocolaty cake. Then I just add two tablespoons of cocoa powder to the batter.
- Preheat oven to 360 degrees Fahrenheit
- Grate the zucchini
- Add all the ingredients into a mixing bowl, except the grated zucchini
- Stir everything well until the batter is smooth and even
- Add the grated zucchini and stir it under
- Grease a baking tin and pour the batter into the tin
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Once the cake has cooled down, melt dark chocolate in a pan and pour over the cake
Et voilà. You have a wonderfully soft and moist cake.