A couple of days ago I was trying to come up with a cake to bake for Easter. I wanted something creamy and fruity and easy to make. So I thought. Hey! Why not make a swiss roll with a blueberry biscuit base, a creamy vanilla pudding filling infused with strawberries and a cream cheese frosting. It sounds like a lot of work but it is totally worth it! The perfect spring cake that fits well into the easter celebrations.
Blueberry Swiss Roll With Vanilla Cream And Strawberries
Be dazzled by this delicious blueberry swiss roll for a perfect Easter treat
Ingredients, makes 15 pieces
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pack of vanilla pudding
- 6 oz (175g) sugar
- 2 cups (500ml) milk
- 3.5 oz (100g) blueberry (fresh or frozen)
- 3 eggs (separate egg yolk from egg white)
- a pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons of flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3.5 oz (100g) butter, room temperature
- 7 oz (200g) cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- Strawberries and easter chocolate eggs to decorate
Preparation (60 minutes)
- Preheat the oven to 380 degrees Fahrenheit or 200 degrees Celcius.
- Mix vanilla pudding powder, 1.5 oz (50g) of sugar and 1/3 cup (75ml) of milk.
- Heat the rest of the milk in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Once the milk starts to boil, add in the vanilla pudding mixture and continue stirring until a nice thick pudding texture develops.
- Transfer into a bowl and let it cool down to room temperature.
Swiss roll batter
- Whisk egg white with salt.
- Slowly add in 1 oz (25g) sugar and continue whisking until stiff peaks form.
- In another bowl, whisk egg yolk with 1 oz (25g) sugar until nice and creamy.
- Mix in the blueberry puree, flour, cornstarch, and 1/3 of the whipped egg white.
- Gently fold in the rest of the whipped egg white.
- Pour batter onto a 12″ by 17.5″ baking tray and bake at 360 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes.
- Once the biscuit base is done, take it out of the form and place it onto a dish towel and roll it up and let it cool down.
Filling and decorating biscuit base
- In the meantime, finish the filling, and beat butter until nice and creamy.
- Add in the pudding mass and spread it on the unrolled biscuit base once this has cooled down.
- Cut one big strawberry into tiny cubes, and sprinkle it onto the cream.
- Roll up biscuit base again and cool for 2 hours.
- For the frosting, whisk 7 oz (200g) of cream cheese with a tablespoon of icing sugar and spread onto the biscuit roll.
- Decorate with fruits and chocolate (I used strawberries and chocolate easter eggs).
If you enjoyed this swiss roll be sure to try out the yule log cake. A Christmas version of the swiss roll.